Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Getting organized

Not blogging is a vicious cycle. When you go a while without blogging, then you feel like there's a lot that needs to be blogged. This makes me feel like I have a lot of catch up to do, and makes me not want to blog. So, to avoid this, lets just pretend that nothing happend.

At the end of this week I am closing my physical business location in favor of just doing on site work. The advantage of this is that days I don't have any side work, I can just go home. I'm having my office phone number forwarded to my cell phone full time, so people can still get ahold of me. I will most likely not answer the phone when I'm at work and make them leave a message. The one thing I am going to need is some sort of portable scheduling system. Right now I keep my schedule on my desktop computer in the office. I've thought of a few different solutions. One is getting an iPod Touch and using that. A more sensible one is getting my little Dell PDA working again (haven't touched in a couple years). However, I think I'm going to use just a basic notebook. I found http://www.plannerhack.com/ and really like the system laid out in there. The thing that really attracts me to it is that it's a durable solution. No worries about dropping or breaking the thing. This weekend I have a meeting in Riverton, so I am going to pick up a notebook at Walmart. If I like the system, I'll get a moleskine next time I'm in a big city.

Now that I type this out and put a little more thought into it, I may have to modify the system for my own use. When someone calls and schedules an appointment, and I'm not by a computer, I need to be able to record their name, the time of the appointment, their address, phone number, and problem description. That's a little more information that that is designed to handle. Maybe I'll have to have extra pages in the back for more of that information. Once I get it figured out, I'll have to post my solution on here.

6 comments:

Erika said...

welcome back from the blogging dead! I'm proud of you. :)

i vote for the iPhone. Of course, i want one, which is probably me just reflecting my desires on to you.

but i do know people who have successfully used the moleskine method. you do have to mod it to work for what you need to be really successful.

personally, i'd be shocked by a techno guy who used a pencil and paper. But then again, you are in Wyoming. LOL. just wear a cowboy hat and you'll save face.

Unknown said...

There's a lot of tech guys who are going retro. The guy who wrote plannerhack.com used to write a major PDA newsletter. The guy who wrote pocket mirror (program you used to need to sync a palm to outlook) has also converted to paper.

Brad said...

I was thinking about the whole blogging thing the other day too. It came after stumbling upon a blog where the guy updated 2-3 times a day. Made me think that I should blog maybe a little bit more but then again, I'd have to have something to talk about.

Unknown said...

Warren Ellis (www.warrenellis.com NSFW) posts several things a day. A lot of them are really really short one line things. I'd like to find a way to post quick one liners to the blog without logging into it.

Brad said...

I don't know about Blogger but with Wordpress, there's a moblog plugin called Postie where I can send an email to an address and then it logs in and picks 'em up.

Unknown said...

I found after doing some research that blogger has the functionality built right in. Just send an email to an address that's specific to each blog, and it posts the email to your blog.