Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Gamer Grub

I talked about this a little bit on twitter, and said I would elaborate on the story here.

Gamer Grub first showed up on my radar last Friday when it was mention on Penny-Arcade. They did a comic about it which mirrored my sentiment. They wrote a bit more about it in their blog. I checked around on my own a bit, read the Tom's Hardware interview and looked at their website. I decided that action should be taken and sent a rather nasty email to Biosilo foods and urged people on twitter to do the same. I didn't expect any kind of response. I figured the emails would go into the same black hole of email that most big corps have.

I wrote:
as a gamer I am insulted by your "gamer grub". That is the worst piece of marketing I have ever seen, and it makes me never want to buy any of your products. I will also be telling everyone I know to steer clear of anything you create.

Next time you want to target a niche audience, do some research.
What I didn't realize is that Biosilo foods isn't a big corp. It's pretty much one guy. His name is Keith. Keith replied to my email.
Hi Steven;

Thank you for your comments. I can assure you no insult was intended. I just liked GG.

Actually I really do not have a marketing department; Biosilo Foods is a start up at the moment. I am not really a marketer since that stuff is a bit too cheesy for me.

Most of my gaming experience comes from LAN gaming while the boss was away at a corporate firm I worked at; and with my daughter who prefers Unreal with monster kills. I haven't upgraded to liquid cooling yet but I would really would like to.

If you would like I can send you some samples and you can taste GG and see what you think. If you have any ideas for improvement I am kind of at that phase where we can tweak stuff a bit if it works.

If you need to stay clear of what I do, that's cool. My last girl friend said the same thing. :)

Cheers,

KM
Now, parts of that email do seem a bit contrived. Especially the random part of wanting to install water cooling. It's pretty obvious that Keith is not a "gamer". But, since he went through the effort to respond to what was basically a flame mail, I figured I should at least be civil with the guy. I emailed back and forth with him a little bit, and the short of it is that he's sending out some free samples. I plan on sharing them with some of the students at the high school (probably the computer club kids), and give him an honest response.

I really do feel that the name of the product is bad, and I told him so. If I can think of something better than "Strategy Chocolate" then I'll pass it on to him. Maybe, as Tycho said, the guy is a carpetbagger. But I appreciate the attempt of the small guy to make it big. He just needs to find someone who knows a thing or two about marketing to geeks.

2 comments:

Hardly Neutral said...

Well done sir! I think it is pretty sweet that he took the time to respond and that you both are having a solid discussion around the product. I'll be curious to hear what feedback you get from your gamer-swarm. It might be cool to have the club do some brainstorming on names. Most importantly though, will it taste like ass or not?

Keith Mullin said...

Hi Steve;

Thank you for putting your experience on your blog, much respect.

The project is being redone with a more community approach since I believe I made too many assumptions.

Because of the great comments, I will be dropping the genre names. Just was not working out and too lame. Considering a name change from Gamer Grub but the comments are kind of 50/50 and the alternatives have some issues. Considering holding a contest to see if someone comes up with some options.

This system would be sweeeeet. ...... http://www.xoxide.com/thermaltake-prowater-850i-liquidcooling-system.html

If you could explain your experience to your students, that would be good by me.

I hope to meet you someday.

- Keith