Monday, November 26, 2007

Life Out West

If you've watched a lot of old westerns you might be familiar with the term water rights. Put simply, water rights determine how much water you can take from a lake/river/stream/creek for your use, or for use in your land. This is something that people out where I live are concerned about. Today I went in and registered to vote. Once I proved that I did live in the affected area, I got to vote on the Owl Creek Water District. Basically this was a vote to either form or not form a water district that would bring in potable water through pipes. Since it's a small group of people who are allowed to vote on this, my vote had a bit of meaning. Of course, if we get water from pipes, then our water rights from Owl Creek will probably be reduced.

I just hope that no one starts shooting at their neighbors over this.

No comments: